THe Third day of Christmas, December 27
Feast of John the Apostle and Evangelist
- Make use of some of the resources on the tabs below (carols, reflections, scripture, literature, etc.)
- In keeping with the Christmas and Johannine theme of light against darkness, spend some time outside (weather permitting) studying the stars. Try to identify particular constellations.
- If your tradition permits, have some mulled wine (or another warm, festive drink, if not) in memory of the Wedding at Cana.
- Read the epistles of 1, 2, and 3 John together (the latter two books are quite short) and talk about what it might look like to put John's advice into practice in your everyday life.
- See the "No cash option" under "gift giving" for today.
- Spend time creatively meditating on one of the chapters in John's gospel. Read it over and over, or illustrate it, or set it to music.
- Give just one of the gifts you did not give on Christmas Day--probably one of the smaller ones.
- Give someone a candle, a flashlight, or another luminous present and read the opening of John's gospel with the other lights turned off.
- NO CASH OPTION: Sit down with your family or community as you write down the things you appreciate about one another. Then, take turns reading your notes to each other out loud. Put the notes in an envelope with the date on it so that they can be encouraged by the things you've said throughout the coming year.